Zuppa Toscana


Zuppa Toscana

(OG Copycat!)




I had made a lot of tomato-based soups lately, so I decided to go wit this.  It is supposedly a copycat of the Olive Garden recipe.  As usual, I had to make some of my own adjustments.  (Not as much kale and more broth/cream than called for) This turned out sooooo good!  I am afraid I’m going to eat it all up before even having a chance to freeze any for later!  A great comfort food for depressing winters!




Olive oil
1 lb Italian Sausage (casing removed)
4 slices of bacon, diced  (bacon, bacon, Bacon BACOOOOOOON!)
1 sm-md yellow onion, chopped
3 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
2 cups (or cans worth!) of water
1 ½ lb russet potatoes (about 4)  sliced and diced.  (leave skin on if desired- rinse and scrub first!)
1 ½ tsp sugar
½ tsp crushed fennel seeds  (these are optional, but I wouldn’t leave them out if you can help it!)
Salt and pepper
2 C half and half (I actually used 32 oz)

1 ½ c packed chopped kale  (So I didn’t use as much because the kale I bought in a package also had                             red cabbage...had to pick out the cabbage so it wouldn’t change the soup pink!)
Romano or parmesan cheese for topping.  Also optional… but, come on, CHEESE?



Cook sausage in pot.  Remove and drain.

Cook bacon in pot, then add onions.  Cook until translucent.

Add broth, water, potatoes, sugar, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.  Bring to boil.  Reduce to med low.  Stir in cooked sausage., simmer 10-15 min

Add in kale, simmer another 10-15 min until kale is tender and potatoes are soft.

Stir in half and half, heat through

Serve with parmesan or romano cheese on top.

This was VERY good and didn’t take more than an hour.  It really hit the spot on this cold December day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Broccoli Ginger Slaw