Beef and Vegetable Soup


South Beach Vegetable Beef Soup


As it is Fall, it is once again time for soups and chilis.  I have posted several of my favorites on here, but here is one I haven’t posted.  It is from a South Beach Diet cookbook.  Its for phase one, so it is quite low in the glycemic index area.  Also, the cabbage and spinach are super good for you.  I don’t always like spinach or cabbage by themselves, but I like this soup.  It’s quite hearty… really more like a stew, or as Rachael Ray calls it, “Stoup.”

I typically double the recipe and it makes a HUGE pot full.  I double it because I hate having leftover cabbage and spinach!  I just buy a cabbage already cut in half, and a smaller bag of frozen spinach!  It freezes well, so I have some for several months.



Ingredients:
Olive Oil
1 lb Steak (top round) cut in cubes.  You can also use pre-cut beef for stews.
1 Rib of celery
½ Large Onion
¼ lb Frozen Cut Green Beans
5 Cups Water
¼ Head of Cabbage, Shredded
¼ Bag of Frozen Spinach (you could use fresh too)
1 Can (16 oz) Diced tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste. 
I also add some Oregano and a couple of cloves of fresh garlic.

First, add some olive oil to the pan, and brown the beef.
Remove beef, then add some more olive oil, then onions, (garlic), celery and beans until tender
Add steak back, then water, cabbage, spinach and and tomatoes.
Add seasonings.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.

You could probably also use ground beef or chicken if you preferred.  The beef and spinach also make this high in iron.  If you find beef on sale, it is not very expensive to make, especially since it makes so much.
 
***I made this recently, and didn't have any green beans, so I cut up a zucchini.  I also added a dash of paprika and basil and oregano.
(1/18/16) I used fresh spinach, which was really good.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing