Wild Rice Soup

Wild Rice Soup

Here is a new one that I decided  to try.  It is from the Taste of Home Cookbook.  I used to love getting a Taste of Home Magazine and searching through it for my next culinary delight.  I have never made a wild rice soup, so this was a new experience for me.  In fact, I’m not sure I’ve made “wild rice” anything.  This has a really smooth, velvety broth, and strong flavors of the rice and rosemary.  It wasn’t too hard to make, either.  I don’t like it when things are too complicated!  If you are going to make it for a crowd or large family, double the recipe.


Ingredients:
1/3 C Uncooked Wild Rice
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 quart water
1 medium onion, chopped (I used 3 small)
1 Celery Rib, Chopped (I used 2)
1 Carrot, chopped (I used 2)
½ C Butter
½ C All Purpose Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth (I used broth flavor packets and 3 C water)
** you can also use 4 cups of broth if that is how you buy it.
2 Cups Half and Half Cream
½ Tsp Dried Rosemary
1 Tsp Salt

In a medium saucepan, bring rice, water and oil to a boil, reduce and simmer 30 min.
Cook onion, carrots, celery in the butter in a large pot.
When rice is ready, stir in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the un-drained rice and broth. 
Bring to a boil, reduce, cook about 2 minutes
Stir in cream, rosemary and salt.
Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes

This is really quite good and only takes about an hour to make.  It would be good with a nice salad and some hearty bread.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing