Irvington Halloween Festival Two Bean Minestrone

Irvington Halloween Festival Two Bean Minestrone

This minestrone doesn’t have anything to do with the festival, except that I decided to make it on this great Fall day in which we are going to go to the festival in Irvington!  Will is ready to dress up as Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc, and I have my camera ready for lots of fun shots!  I put on this soup in the slow cooker so that it will be nice and ready when we come home.  (Even though I’ll be the only one who cares!)  I chopped up the vegetables last night while chopping other vegetables for dinner, so that I all had to do today was dump them in. (Store the onion/garlic separate from the carrots/celery!) 

Ingredients:
1 Medium Onion (Recipe suggests to halve crosswise and cut in big chunks.  I used three small ones.)
1 Garlic clove, chopped  (Oh, I think I used 3…)
1 Stalk Celery, chopped (I used two) 2 Medium Carrots, sliced ¼ inch-ish
2 (14 oz) Cans Chicken Broth (I had a 32 oz box, so I used the whole thing-   Use what you’ve got!)
1 (19 oz )Can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed  (OK, so I didn’t read the directions and just got a 14 oz can.)
1 (14 oz) Can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14 oz) Can Italian Seasoned Stewed Tomatoes, undrained, cut up.
½ tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper  (Or really however much you want, within reason!)
1 Cup frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed, drained  (squeeze with some paper towel to drain)
3 Oz Uncooked Spaghetti, broken into thirds


Oh Yeah, I also added some basil… because I can.

Directions:
Add all ingredients except the spinach and spaghetti in the crockpot.  Cook on low 7-10 hours. Stir in spinach and spaghetti and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until spaghetti is tender.

Upon finishing this soup... I would say to make sure you squeeze your spinach thoroughly. Also, I might use fresh spinach next time too.  I added more salt and more pepper, and I threw in a dash of nutmeg.  I might like a bit more Italian seasonings too. 





 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing