Calico Coleslaw

Calico Coleslaw

 

This is a recipe that I made way back in 2005, on May 7.  This year, I made it for our Mother’s Day BBQ at my brother-in-law and new sister-in-law’s house.  I made note that it was really good, but that it took a lot of prep work.  Well, I was able to cut down the prep work by using my big food processor that I did not have way back then.

 

It’s very colorful, and tastes as beautiful as it is!

 

First, make the dressing:

DRESSING

1 orange (zest and juice)

¼ C Rice vinegar (I used a mix of apple cider and white wine because my rice vinegar was expired)

1 ½ tablespoon vegetable oil

2 tablespoons honey (umm, I always add more honey…)

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro  (ok, just do like Rachael Ray and eyeball it!)

½ teaspoon salt.

 

Zest the orange (about a teaspoon worth), and juice to measure at least 2 tablespoons worth. (I just use what it gives me, even if it’s more!)  Mix the ingredients together and set aside to put on slaw.

 

SLAW

½ head red cabbage (cored and shredded)

2 large carrots (I used 4 medium ones) cut into julienne strips

1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips

1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips

                I also used an orange bell pepper because they all came in a package together!)

2 Green onions, tops only, cut into thin strips (ok I used like 4 or 5 here)

 

I used the processor for all the slaw ingredients except for the green onion.

 

Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix.  Serve soon after mixing in the dressing.  If you need to make this overnight, make the slaw and dressing, and refrigerate separately, putting dressing on just before serving.

 

I got this recipe from a Pampered Chef book that has several of my favorites.

 

Next time you need a healthy and interesting dish for a dinner or pitch in, try it and let me know how it was!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing