Fantastically Yummy Red Pepper Tomato Soup

Fantastically Yummy Red Pepper Tomato Soup

I first made this soup maybe almost 10 years ago.  I really loved it and everyone else who tried it loved it too.  I think my memories of it taking a while to make and of how expensive red peppers can be made me not make it for a while.  But it is TOTALLY WORTH the cost for red peppers and the time it takes to make.  Growing up, I was never really a fan of tomato soup, but there is something about this that transcends the “tomato soup” you grew up with!  I can just see that in Indiana in the Fall, this could be a less expensive and extremely fresh endeavor.  Start planning your tomato plants, everyone! Fresh Rosemary, Thyme, and Basil would be awesome in this as well!

I got this from the internet long before Pinterest and Facebook!  It originally came from the Junior League of Annapolis.  Can you just imagine some ladies sitting down to some soup and tea sandwiches?  Also, I noticed that I printed this recipe off on 1/26/04- exactly 8 years before my Bubba was born!

Ingredients:
¼ Cup Olive Oil
2 Cups Red Onion, chopped (1 BIG one will do)
1 ½ Lbs Sweet, Red Pepper (3 will do)
1 Tablespoon of Garlic, minced
1 ½ lbs Ripe Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (confession-  I don’t peel and seed!!)
1 ¼ Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
1 ¼ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1 ¼ Teaspoon Marjoram (You can use some oregano to substitute if you do not have marjoram)
½ Teaspoon Dried Basil (Oh I am sure I will put more in!)
2 Bay Leaves
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Teaspoon Dried Cumin
1 ¼ Tablespoon Fresh Ginger (You can use freshly grated or canned.)
Salt and Pepper to Taste (Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper is great!)

Heat oil in a large pot.  Add onion, peppers, garlic and coat with the olive oil.  Reduce heat and cover, stir occasionally until pepper and onion are soft- about 30 minutes. (Warning- Your kitchen will smell HEAVENLY!)

Stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil and simmer about 30 minutes more.

Remove from heat and cool for 20 minutes.  Transfer to a blender and puree .  (This is the magic step!  Makes it all creamy-like without any cream!)


Refrigerate up to 2 days, or freeze for later eating!  Serve with some Melba Toast or some crusty bread! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing