Polar Vortex Post Number 1: Crock Pot Fajitas and Enchilada Soup


Polar Vortex Post Number 1: Crock Pot Fajitas and Enchilada Soup


We have been snowed in since Sunday (Today is Tuesday) because of what the weather people are calling a “Polar Vortex”.  Luckily we were stocked up on things to eat.  Rob has been off work Monday and Tuesday.  Some schools are even closed tomorrow already.  It pretty much snowed all day long on Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday the actual temperatures were below freezing- that’s not even counting the “Wind Chill” factor.


I had already made this crock pot fajita mean up for the freezer, but did not cook it until Sunday.  It was quite good, and even Will liked eating the chicken.  I put some in tortillas and fried them up.  (Reminder: do NOT attempt this on days that you can’t open all the windows to clear the smoke! Duh!)  I added cheese to mine, and cooked up some rice to go with it.  I even made up a couple of extras for the next day, and they were good.

CROCK POT FAJITAS
Per Zip Lock Bag:

2-3 Chicken Breasts cut lengthwise into strips(fajita style)

1 Tbs Fajita Seasoning

1 Medium Onion, chopped

1 Medium Green Pepper, chopped (I added half of a red one too)

1 11 oz Can (or one big can divided) Rotel tomatoes with chilies.


Label the Zip Lock Bags with contents and date

Add all ingredients into the bag and smush around.  Freeze. 

To cook, thaw in microwave and cook in crock pot on high for 3-6 hours.

To serve:  wrap up some in a tortilla, then fry the tortilla in a pan with a little bit of oil. 


-----

I already had some of this soup made up before the storm, but this was also a good nutritious meal to eat on a cold day.


ENCHILADA SOUP
This was supposed to be a crock pot recipe, but I decided to go ahead and cook it in a stove pot.  You could probably even make this up and freeze all the ingredients except the broth and sautéed veggies, then add all to a crock pot in the morning and come home to homemade soup.

Peppers, Onion and Garlic Sauteing 

2 Tbs oil
1 large onion
1 Green or Red Bell Pepper (I used both because I like them both)
3 cloves garlic
Salt and Pepper
1 Can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles… I also got a can that had cilantro… yum)
4 C Chicken Broth
1-2 lb Diced Chicken
2 C Corn (I used a can)
1 Can Black Beans (I used 2 because I didn’t have much chicken)
1 Tbs Chili powder (I only used half this much because I don’t like too much!)
1 Tsp Cumin
½ Tsp Dried, Crushed Oregano


Saute Onion, Garlic and Bell Peppers.  Add all ingredients to a crock pot for several hours or bring to boil in a stove pot, and then simmer for an hour.





Finished Soup with Rice Added
****  I decided that this really needed rice, so I added about 1 ½ -2 Cups rice.  I cooked it before adding.  I like to cook my rice by browning it in oil, then adding the water.

This is great topped with some cheese and crunched tortilla chips.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing