Sweet Potato Chili


Sweet Potato Chili

I saw this recipe floating around the internetty thingy, (Original Recipe Here) and thought I would give it a try.  All in all, it’s pretty good.  I am glad I only put half the amount of chili powder in it, and next time would put even less.  I might consider adding paprika.  Also, I think my turkey had some Italian flavoring in it, and that added something different.  I have another sweet potato soup recipe that I like better (Hoppin’ John Stoup), but this was worth a go.  Plus, it was a crock pot thing, so it was cooking all day!


Ingredients:
2 Diced (peeled)Sweet Potatoes (Could just use one large one)
¾ C Diced Sweet Onion  (Used half of a huge red onion)
½ C chopped celery (Used about 3 ribs)
2 14.5 oz (Or 1 28 oz) Can Stewed Tomatoes with Chili Seasoning
1 8 oz Can Tomato Sauce
½ C Water

1 Tbs Chili Powder (only used half-  next time I would use less, but that’s just me)
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/8 Tsp Salt
1/8 Tsp Ground Pepper
1/8 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp Onion Powder
Pinch Cayenne Powder (Didn’t Use!)

1 Lb. Ground Turkey, Beef or Combination, browned and drained
1 Can Black Beans
1 Can or 1 C of Corn.

Add the vegetables, sauce, tomatoes, water and spices to the crock pot.  Cook on high 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
Brown and drain meat, add to mix
Add Beans and Corn to mix, cook another 2 hours.

This would be great with crackers or tortilla chips.  Maybe some cheese or avocado too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing