My Husband’s A Lot Like Popeye… or “How I got my husband to eat some vegetables”


My Husband’s A Lot Like Popeye… or “How I got my husband to eat some vegetables”
Rob has always said that he liked spinach-  like the kind Popeye ate, you know slopped straight from the can.  So, I figured there HAD to be a way for me to get him to eat spinach that was well, really good.  I found this recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook (which my husband DID get for me as a Christmas present one year)  I thought that this couldn’t be too bad because he does like red peppers and onions too.  I also made a new chicken recipe to pair with this.  Of course, I let him have his favorite kind of rice too. (Well, it’s actually a rice and pasta blend) 
Sautéed Spinach and Peppers
Ingredients:
               1 Large Pepper, coarsely chopped
               1 Tbs olive oil
               1 Small Red Onion, coarsely chopped
               3 Garlic Cloves, minced or chopped
               8 C Fresh Spinach
First, I took all the stems off of the spinach because I think they are icky.  Then, I washed the spinach and squeezed it dry. 
Sautee peppers in olive oil for a minute or two, then add onions and garlic for another couple of minutes. 
Next, add the spinach, salt, pepper and sugar, and toss spinach around until it “wilts.”
This was pretty good and Rob really liked it too.  Definitely will make this again in order to get some iron and green vegetables in our diet!
Garlic Lime Chicken
I made this chicken to go with the spinach and it was also quite good.  The marinade can be made up in the morning or night before, and since it was baked, there wasn't a lot of tending to the cooking.

Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts
               Marinade:
               ½ C Lime Juice (Or juice of one lime)
               ¼ C Cider Vinegar
               6 Garlic Cloves, Minced
               2 Tsp Dry Oregano
1 Tbs Dry Coriander (I did not have this)
2 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Paprika
Marinate chicken 8 hours or overnight
Discard marinade when ready to cook.
Brown chicken in some olive oil in a pan
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until 170 degrees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing