Making the organization look a little more pretty

Do you feel like your office or living room is just one big place full of generic looking organizers?  You know, the magazine holders, the plastic hanging file folders…the stacked paper holders?
I sure did!  But I did something about it that allowed me to use my crafty skills and creativity touse.
First, I got really tired of looking at the cardboard magazine holders I got to organize my smaller music scores and loose sheet music and octavos.  So, I got some scrapbook paper that I had a lot of, and covered the magazine holders.  Now, instead of ugly cardboard magazine holders, I have colorful ones that make me happier to look at!  I liked that so much, that I decided to do it to the plastic ones I had too!  Eventually, I figured out how to mod podge them to make them look a little more professional, and sturdier.
The trick here, is to get paper that has some coordinating patterns so that if you are doing more than one, you have something interesting that doesn’t clash.  You can get coordinating patterns at a scrapbook/craft store if you look at the name at the bottom of the page.  Also, you could buy a tablet with many coordinating patterns.  These often run about $20 each, but you can often find them on sale or use that 40% off coupon from Michaels!
 
My most recent project was this plastic hanging file holder.  It is in our living room by our desk, and it holds some of those important things that need to be filed.  It just looked so out of place with the baskets that I had on that shelf.  So, I found a paper that I had two of, and that wouldn’t look awkward with the black color.
 
Here is what it looked like before:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And here is what it looks like now:
 
 
In order to get that hole, I first mod podged the side, and let it dry.  Then, I used an exacto knife to cut it in such a way that I could fold flaps over and glue to the inside.
 
A couple of tips about mod podging:  First, make sure that you put the glue onto the item that you are decorating, and NOT the paper.  If you do it to the paper, it will get all curly.  Next, make sure that you let it dry before applying the top layer.  Otherwise, you will make the paper weak, and it may tear on you as you are trying to smooth it out.
 
Do you have something to mod podge to make your office or home a little brighter?  Take a picture and share it with us!  Send it to me at danielle9828@yahoo.com and I will put it on my blog!
 
Happy Podging!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing