Ornament Elf!


I’m still busy making ornaments!

I really loved the felt manger ones I made, and wanted to do more, but I only had enough felt for those.  So, since my main form of craftiness consists of paper crafts, I decided to use my paper crafting skills for ornaments!  I found some paper piecing patterns on the scrapbooks etc .website, and printed them on my basic cream colored cardstock that I use.  I printed a stocking, a santa and a bird.  I decided to try the stocking first, because it looked the easiest! (I was right!) When I trace these, I put the template upside down on the back side of the paper I want to use.  This way, any pencil marks will not be seen, and the picture will still be facing the right way.  The stocking had 4 parts and two colors: The main stocking (color 1) and the top, toe and heels (color 2).  After I glued these together withy mod podge (this made it harder) , I then traced the entire stocking (upside down) on a basic cardstock and cut it out a smidge smaller than the traced lines so that it wouldn’t show on the front.  I punched a small hole on the corner of this to put a ribbon through.  I glued the piece with mod podge to the back of the whole stocking, leaving an unglued spot around the hole.  Then, when I dried, I put a ribbon through it to hand it on a tree! 

It was fun to try a lot of different techniques to make each stocking unique.  Here are some that I used:
Inking the edges (Sometimes I used a shade darker of the same color, or brown or white.)
Dry embossing (I loved the swirls, snowflakes and dots)
Using glitter glue
Adding gems
Drawing on stitching
Mod podging front to make shiny (this also made it extra sturdy)

Also, I enjoyed using different color combinations, and not just the traditional red/white combo.  I used;
Pink and Turquoise
Blue and Red
Cream and Red
Patterned paper

Here is pictures of one of the stocking ornaments:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing