Hoppin' Stoup and Rice


In the spirit of Fall comfort foods, I will give you one of my very favorite soups to make and eat.  It is a Rachael Ray recipe, but I tweaked it a bit.  The ingredients sound like they are an odd fit for each other, but I tell you, this is one of the most delicious soups, or “stoups” as she calls it, that I’ve ever had!  This recipe makes about 10 cups, and my note at the bottom says “Eat with a Fork!”




Hoppin’ Stoup and Rice

1 ½ C Rice
              (I used brown minute rice.  Brown the rice in a little olive oil, then add 2 ¾ C Water or Chicken Broth.  Then, serve the stoup over the rice) I did wind up putting the rice in the soup later, and that turned out just fine.

1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Md-Lg Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped.
5-6 Celery Ribs, chopped (you can include the leaves if you like)
1 or 2 Green Bell Peppers, chopped

1 lb Sausage.  (The original recipe calls for Andouille, but I really had no idea exactly what that was, so I got “Chorizzo” which, seems to be Italian flavored sausage.  You can probably get whatever kind you want!)

28 Oz Can Stewed Tomatoes
4 C Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 Package of frozen Black-Eyed Peas. (Yes, Tonight’s gonna be a good, good night.)


The original recipe also calls for hot sauce and a bay leaf, but it’s fine without those.


Cook the sausage, add the chopped veggies, cook for a few minutes.  Add the tomatoes, broth and peas.  Cook until the sweet potatoes are done.


Though this has several ingredients, it’s quite worth the effort.  It doesn’t take very long to actually cook.  It’s just the preparations that take a while.  Maybe an hour or hour and a half total in making this.  You can also freeze this for the future.  Great for those days you are stuck inside on a rainy or snowy day!
Hoppin Stoup

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Bi-Coastal Salsa

Summer Spinach Salad Dressing